Specs and frequently asked questions about Cigfiddles, tunings, strings, etc:
– “Cig” (cigar) and “fiddle” from the commonly used guitar nickname, “git-fiddle.”
– All of Baratto’s handmade cigar box instruments fall under the trademarked “Cigfiddle” moniker.
– The Cigfiddle is a tenor (19″) scale guitar.
– Think of a guitar with a capo at the 5th fret.
The “Original Cigfiddle”: $500.00 and up (8 string version: $700.00 and up):
– This is based on the original prototype and most popular.
– It’s tenor scale, acoustic, 4 strings, open tuned: D, A, D, F#
The “Cigukelele”: $400 and up:
– Based on the Ukelele.
– Nylon string with a wrap around bridge and standard open back Grover tuners.
The “Cigaquinho”: $425 and up:
– Based on the Brazilian Cavaquinho.
– 12″ scale, 4 steel strings.
The “Resofiddle”: $2000.00 and up:
– The unique sound comes from its resonator made from a steel paint can lid.
– Based on a traditional resonator, steel is used in place of aluminum to achieve its signature “zing”.
– It is strung and tuned the same as the “Original”.
The 8-string “Resofiddle”: $2250.00 and up:
– Tuned: dD, aA, dd, f#f#.
– With four double course strings.
– Nothing sounds quite like it.
– The octave strings drone to make the resonator come alive with sound and rich overtones from within fill the air.
– The world awaits what this new instrument has to offer. Sure to inspire those who play it!
Downright/Upright Bass: $1200.00 and up:
– Upright bass, made from a used wooden wine box.
– The shape of the neck resembles an upright bass.
– The low frets and the flat, nylon tape wound strings give this bass the sound and feel very similar to a double bass.
– Can be played acoustically or pugged in.
– Please use recommended string gages.
– Strings can be ordered directly from Baratto Guitars or you can buy a set of strings and remove the low and hi E strings from the package.
– Phosphorous Bronze wound, plain unwound.
– Electric strings can be used as well.
– Nickel wound, plain unwound.
– Avoid using acoustic strings.
The Original Cigfiddle and Resofiddle:
D (.038) / A (.028) / d (.018) / f# (.014)
Standard Ukelele strings.
Nickel or Phosphorous Bronze
.032 / .024 / .018 / .016
8-String Original and Resofiddle:
d (.018) / D (.038) / a (.014) / A (.028) / dd (.018) / f#f# (.014)
Downright / Upright bass:
Rotosound, nylon tape wound bass strings.
– Take care of your Cigfiddle as you would any fine instrument by keeping it from extreme temperatures and moisture.
– Avoid leaving your Cigfiddle in a hot car or trunk.
– Do NOT over tighten the strings! Your Cigfiddle can be tuned within a full step either up or down without changing the string gauge.